Translate

Thursday, January 2, 2020

On the Workbench: Celestial Lions, Part I

My first project for 2020 is working on the Celestial Lions from Warhammer 40k! I stumbled across them in an index of Space Marines and was struck with their color scheme. Being that I'm sick to death of seeing Ultramarines everywhere, I decided that I wanted to do something decidedly different. It turns out they've been featured in a few of the 40k books lately which has really fleshed out their story.


Without giving too much away, they were targeted by their side's own Inquisition and nearly obliterated for a crime they didn't commit. Their chapter barely survived and has been struggling to rebuild for some time.


I'd painted up a test figure a few months ago and was really pleased (for the most part) with how he turned out. As a result, I've spent the last week or so working on the Celestial Lions using figures I'd already acquired.


After priming in black, the figures were given a coat of Retributor Armour spray. They were then given a wash of Games Workshop Agrax Earthshade Gloss in order to maintain that brilliant shine. I then applied a drybrush of Vallejo Gold followed by one of Vallejo Silver. I think it really makes the armor pop.  


The helmets and shoulder pads were then given a coat of Vallejo Prussian Blue, followed by a wash of Games Workshop Drakenhof Nightshade. They will eventually be given a lighter coat of blue; I think I used Vallejo Deep Sky Blue on my test figure. 


While those were drying, I went to work assembling a few more Space Marine Hero and Primaris figures that I had laying about. The book Spear of the Emperor by Aaron Dembski-Bowden confirmed that the Celestial Lions have Primaris Space Marines (second generation superhuman warriors who are even stronger than the regular Space Marine).


I'm going to paint up a very small number of regular Space Marines for my Celestial Lions to represent just how decimated the chapter was after the massacre. The bulk of the force will be the afore mentioned Primaris Marines with some Space Marine Scouts thrown in there as well. My goal is to finish up the Tactical Squad by the end of January.

No comments:

Post a Comment