Translate

Tuesday, February 9, 2021

On the Road with Hell Dorado

Taking a quick break from packing for my upcoming trip (see this post if you don't know what I'm talking about) to share something that I find absolutely hilarious. 

I hate cleaning. I always have and chances are that I always will. My basement War Room looks like an actual warzone for this very reason. When I do finally get around to cleaning, I invariably find something cool that makes me remember, "Oh yeah! I'd forgotten about this! I should totally paint this up." I rarely do actually paint them up...but that's another story.

It usually happens that I find these figures in my hobby space. But not yesterday. Yesterday I found some from the Hell Dorado game in a bag in the trunk of my car. As soon as I saw them, I remembered picking them up at my FLGS because I thought they looked super cool (I mean...there's a Spanish conquistador with a blunderbuss!) and would be fun to paint. 

Then I looked at the sales receipt.

Rescued from their automotive prison!

I bought them on December 11, 2014.

Yup. These figures have been riding around in my trunk for over six years. That's a grand total of 2,251 days. I looked and they don't even appear to make figures for this game anymore. I didn't even have a permanent park ranger job yet. I feel that this eclipses nearly everything else in my unpainted Pile of Shame. 

So I'm taking them with me to Washington State. I plan on having them be the first figures that I complete out there.  

It looks like there are a few figures on eBay, and since this is a skirmish game I don't think it'll be too hard (or expensive) to build an adequate force for playing. The few battle videos I've found on YouTube were entertaining, so I think Hell Dorado might be a fun game to try eventually. Essentially, the premise that 17th Century nations have begun invading Hell itself to try and conquer territory in the Underworld. 

I guess the other big thing is to find someone else who plays...but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment