Translate

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Eagle and Empire: Into the Sunset


Here's some unexpected news about my FLGS, Eagle and Empire.

It was announced on Facebook yesterday that the store's owner will be retiring on October 1st. It's certainly well earned! The shop has been serving Northern Virginia gamers and hobbyists since 1987...a good run to be sure. While Doug (the owner) is working with someone to reopen the store elsewhere, it seems like the shop as it is now will cease to be.

A screenshot of the announcement on Eagle and Empire's Facebook page.

I know I'm leaving for New Mexico next week, but I'm not going to lie: I feel pretty sad about this.

The storefront today.

I started going to Eagle and Empire shortly after I moved to the DC area in early 2013. My friend suggested we check it out one day and I've been coming ever sense. When we moved to our current place in 2017, it was just 10 minutes away from the shop (much to Teresa's chagrin at times). 

The storefront before the 2019 six-alarm fire.

Eagle and Empire has been my most-frequented FLGS of all time and holds a very special place in my heart. I've spent countless hours (and countless dollars as well) here over the years. I'm going to miss it dearly.

But, all of my sentimentality aside, I wish Doug a very happy retirement! He's absolutely earned it after 34 years in the business. 

No comments:

Post a Comment