Translate

Thursday, April 14, 2022

Game Empire San Diego: The Return

I’m visiting my family in California for a few days after not seeing them for nearly 3 years. One of our traditions is to visit Old Town San Diego, which we did yesterday. Since this isn't really a travel blog I'll spare you the details...but it's got some super cool sites like the Whaley House, El Campo Santo Cemetery, and the Old Town Model Railroad Depot (I'll write about it some day). It also has some really great restaurants (Barra Barra in particular is our favorite).

Anyway, I digress. 

After dinner, I realized that we were close to Game Empire San Diego…the sister store to the now-closed Game Empire Pasadena (now Odyssey Games...going to see if I can hit that before I fly out on Saturday). It was at this particular store's previous location that I played my first game of 40k in 2007 with my friends Kyle and Ben. I was visiting them in San Diego and I still remember how much nerdy fun was had. We were also successful in getting the store to sing “Men of Harlech” as my Praetorians were having their last stand against the mighty Valhallan horde. 

This was my first time back in 15 years.

I only had about 40-45 minutes to look around before the store closed, so I couldn't comb through the bits bins as carefully as I normally would. But I did manage to find a few things...including a pile of skulls and a figure that looks like John Travolta from Pulp Fiction. The used book section also yielded some Bolt Action goodness!

Also, the display cases had one of the largest collections of Praetorians that I’ve ever seen in person! I seem to recall a much smaller collection in 2007...perhaps the ranks were bolstered after the XXXII Praetorian's massacre that fateful day in 2007.




All in all, it was a nice little visit! Next time I'm in San Diego I'll definitely need to spend a little more time here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment