Translate

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Static Grass (Prussian) Blues

Hello! Long time no see!

I've been working on some Napoleonic Prussian Landwehr off and on (mostly off) since mid-2016 and am determined to finish them in short order. I'll give more details on that project in a later post, but they're going to be Silesian Landwehr from the Battle of Leipzig in 1813. 


But while picking up the project again, I noticed that the static grass I'd been using was out. Unfortunately the place that I'd ordered it from had gone out of business, so I got some Gale Force Nine grass thinking it was the same color.


It was not the same color.
It was not the same color, and my OCD would not allow me to just ignore it and use the new stuff. So I actually spent several months trying to find the original grass before finally saying "forget this" and adapted with what I had.



Thankfully I'd used good old Elmer's white glue, so all I had to do was soak the figures in water for a bit before peeling off the old grass. I was relieved to find that it came off pretty easily.

Enjoying some "Champagne of the North" while working! Totally appropriate as Prussia's King Frederick William I described it as "best for our climate" and had his son, the future Frederick the Great, learn how to brew it. It was supposedly a hit with Napoleon's troops when they went into Berlin after the Prussian military disasters of 1806. 

It was pretty tedious doing this for 30 figures in one sitting, but it had to get done. Berliner Weisse and Prussian marching music certainly helped speed things along.



A visit to the basement from my cat Jimmy also helped make things bearable.



After taking all that grass off, it was time to put on the new stuff. Tedious Fun times ensued.


But it was worth pushing on! Here the finished battalion is awaiting a final spray of Dullcote. Now the rest of the regiment can proceed as planned! 

Stay tuned for more updates on these dudes.


And to make sure this doesn't happen again any time soon, I bought all the grass that Huzzah Hobbies had in stock.


No comments:

Post a Comment