Translate

Friday, August 20, 2021

Big Move 2021: So It Begins

We're about three weeks away from our big move to New Mexico. I figured it might be fun (and self-motivational) to document hobby-related things during this whole process. In short, packing and sorting through all my miniature stuff. I started that process today.

Since this is a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move,  the movers will come by and pack just about everything for us. Some things they can't take on the truck, though, are things like liquids, aerosol cans, and cleaning chemicals. So...pretty much all of my paint, primer, and Simple Green. 

I spent some of this afternoon packing up my model paints. I've been working on some WWII Soviet test figures over the last few days, and now that they're done I reckoned it was time. I'd previously brought all my paints to Vancouver in four small totes as this was easier to fit into my 2012 Volkswagen Jetta. 

The trunk of my Jetta in February as I went out to Vancouver, WA.

A few weeks ago I traded it in for a 2017 Volkswagen Tiguan. I hated to do it, but I really need something with AWD for New Mexico (especially since I'll be driving into the mountains daily). But I do have a bit more cargo space now. As such, all of my paints went into a single box.

Umm...woah. 😲

For whatever reason, it didn't seem like I had this much paint when I was in Vancouver. I certainly didn't think I had this much when we last moved 4 years ago. I think I'll be good on paint for a while!

I also spent some time gathering specific forces and getting my new Chessex figure cases ready. While the bulk of my unpainted collection will be going with the movers, I'll be taking my finished and primed figures with me for safekeeping. I've always been somewhat lacking on carrying cases but I think this move will finally fix that for me! Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately), though, I have significantly fewer painted figures than unpainted.

My Bolt Action pile for Stalingrad.

Over the weekend, I'll be tackling the mess warzone that is the basement. It's going to be quite the job: the bulk of my miniature collection is scattered throughout in multiple piles on nearly every available surface....including the floor. The words "tripping" and "hazard" come to mind here. 😬

No comments:

Post a Comment