Translate

Sunday, November 10, 2019

“In my experience, there’s no such thing as luck.”


Tonight my wife, Teresa, asked me if I wanted to play Risk: Star Wars Edition before dinner. You might recall that she gave it to me for my birthday back in September after playing it for the first time in Chicago the week before. After cleaning off the dining room table (which needed to be done anyway...I'm not entirely sure it wasn't a ploy on her part to get me to do it) I went ahead and set up the board. She chose to play the Rebel Alliance, which left me fighting for the glory of the Empire once again.



As before, the game was fast moving and lots of fun! I once again managed to kill Luke Skywalker early in the game and started using the Death Star II to blast the Rebel fleet into oblivion. At the same time, however, the shield generator was destroyed and Teresa moved in to try to destroy the Imperial space station. If any of the attacking ships roll a 6, the Death Star II is blown apart. 

I realized that I accidentally left a sector by the station vacant, which the Rebels moved in to. The Super Star Destroyer Executor moved in to attack and was successful in eliminating most of the ships there. With only one Y-Wing left in the sector when she played the Y-Wing card, Teresa decided to attack the Death Star II "for the Hell of it" and for the laughs. 


She rolled a 6 and destroyed the Death Star. With one die. The Rebels won the battle. 

We were both laughing up a storm at how ridiculous and awesome that was! That's honestly one of my favorite things about these sorts of games: you never know how one dice roll will change things. Especially if they're played for laughs. Teresa kept saying over and over again that it was "nothing more than dumb luck."

"In my experience," however, "there's no such thing as luck."

We had a super fun time, and I look forward to playing again very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment