Translate

Friday, May 8, 2020

AWI Continental Soldier Test Figure

Exactly 7 years ago, I posted about a WIP Continental soldier I was working on. He was an Old Glory figure that I’d had for a few years and I wrote about trying out some new techniques and using a washer as the base.

The 2013 version.

Well, none of that ever came to fruition. But I rediscovered him and several other Continental figures while cleaning out my basement home office and felt compelled to give him another go. So I threw the above figure into a pot of Simple Green and started fresh.

The 2020 version.


I painted him up to represent the Southern forces (South Carolina, North Carolina, and Georgia wore blue facings per Washington’s 1780 order) because a) I’ve not seen anyone else do it and b) it’ll be a little quicker to paint. I blocked in the basic colors and used Army Painter Dark Tone Quickshade and was really impressed with the results. I did go over the skin with a bit of GW Reikland Fleshshade to liven him up. I also just got a jeweler’s magnifying headband with an LED light and have been double checking things (I missed a lot in my initial paint job!) and fixing as needed.

This thing is seriously awesome!


I have a few more figures nearly finished as well. These guys won’t win any painting awards but they’re quick to do and should look good in a larger group. All told these guys we’re done in 6-7 hours. I have a few more in stockings as opposed to gaiters, and I think they’ll help give this unit a nice, motley appearance suitable for the American army of this period.

No comments:

Post a Comment