Translate

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Painting Dark Skin (Plus my Catachan Test Figure)

I’ve been surprised at some of the reactions I’ve gotten on the dark skin for my Catachan test figure (still very much a WIP) on Facebook and Instagram. I figured I’d post a little tutorial on the simple method I used to do it. Enjoy!

My mostly finished Catachan test figure!

Truth be told, this was my first real time painting dark skin. None of the armies I’ve done before have had black people in them, so I definitely wanted them represented in my Vietnam-themed Catachan army. I'm really pleased with how it's turned and overall I found it much easier to paint than light skin.


First off, prime black (though I suppose grey would work too) and put down a base layer of Games Workshop Rhinox Hide. A wash of Games Workshop Agrax Earthshade was applied afterward.


The face and muscles are then highlighted with Vallejo Flat Brown. For a handful of future models,  I’m going to experiment with Games Workshop Mournfang Brown in some future models. I think that'll give my army a nice variety of skin tones.


Then – and here’s my special addition – I apply a thin wash of Agrax Earthshade again to knock down the brightness a bit and tie all the colors together. That’s pretty much it!

It's a pretty simple but effective method, but I quite like it. Hopefully you found this helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment