Translate

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Captured Sherman Tank

I acquired a new Battlefront plastic Sherman kit a few months ago and have been wondering what I should do with it (as the other Shermans I have are slightly smaller and out of scale) for some time. I'm not sure how it happened, but it finally dawned on me one night. I wanted to see a Sherman in German service.

I assembled and primed the model before painting it US Army olive drab. I then applied uneven coats of German Dunkelgelb, as I wanted parts of the original paint to be showing through. The idea was that this tank was recently captured and thrown into Axis service ASAP. 





I'll be honest: the German crosses really bug me. But that was the look I was trying to go for. The following photos show hastily painted, sloppy Balkenkreuzen. It's obvious the new German owners didn't spend a lot of time on it, nor did I.



My next step was to apply winter camouflage to the model. This was accomplished using my traditional method of toothpaste and spray paint.


The tracks still need to be painted, but this model is essentially done (apart from the commander who will be coming later). Comments, as always, are appreciated.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is going to be my final update for a while. As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm moving across the country for grad school in just a few days and don't know how soon I'll be able to work on anything. But it'll be soon enough!


No comments:

Post a Comment