Translate

Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Decade Challenge: 2009 vs 2019


With the new decade upon us (depending on where you fall in that debate), I thought it would be cool and appropriate to take part in the 2009 vs 2019 challenge that's been going on. I'm featuring two figures from very different games, and with very different sets of painting skills. 


Lt. Gyles Durfee was painted back in 2009 and was part of my old 32nd Praetorian Regiment from back in the day. He represents the Praetorian Mounted Police and was an old "Fingers" figure from the out of print Schaeffer's Last Chancers set.


Captain William Bradford was painted up only a few months ago, and is a Zulu War British officer from the 56th Foot. Nicknamed the "Pompadour," he serves on detached service in Zululand with a number of different regiments. He was actually my Zulu War test figure and came from the Warlord British Line Infantry set

Sometimes I don't think I've made much improvement in my painting skills (especially since I didn't even pick up a brush from 2017 to late 2018). When I see comparison photos like these, however, I'm pretty surprised. Thinning my paints has helped a lot, as has using washes. I'm much happier with my faces too. Of course, there's always room for improvement and I intend to continue on with that into the new decade. 

My biggest goals for 2020 are to finish up the vast array of projects that I've had sitting around my basement half-finished for the last few years and tidy up my basement War Room as well (especially since I've found out there are a number of wargamers in my neighborhood and am beginning to connect with them).

No comments:

Post a Comment